Metastatic (stage 4) breast cancer is when the primary breast cancer has spread to other parts of the body and so the disease is therefore incurable. The number of people living with stage 4, metastatic breast cancer (MBC) is increasing every year. It is estimated that around 35000 people in the UK are currently living with MBC.
In this episode, I have a conversation with Mary Huckle. Mary is a personal trainer and pilates instructor. She has also been living with MBC since 2014 following her primary breast cancer diagnosis 7 years earlier, just shy of her 42nd birthday.
Mary was extremely generous in sharing her story, and in this episode, we learn about:
- How she coped with her surgery and subsequent chemotherapy treatment.
- The dilemma she had about whether to tell her young children about her diagnosis.
- The challenges she faced when she had to temporarily give up working in for her business, that she built from scratch.
- The importance of pilates in her recovery and how it became an integral part of her life
- What happened when she found out that her cancer had spread
- The various strategies she uses to cope with the difficult times
We had such a lovely conversation and I am truly grateful to Mary for agreeing to come onto the podcast. She was so gracious in sharing her experiences which at times I am sure were difficult to talk about. Mary, however, is such a positive and inspirational person, and despite her trials and tribulations, she remains hopeful and determined.
Mary is very active on social media, and please connect with her on:
Facebook Mary Huckle
Could you help out?
If you are enjoying the My Breast My Health podcast and find it useful, I would be really grateful if you could leave a rating and review. This will help me produce more content and bring value to more people.
You can do this by clicking on Apple Podcast, scroll down to the bottom, rate with the stars and then select ‘Write a Review’. Do let me know which episodes you found useful and what you loved about them.
If you want to make sure you don’t miss out on future episodes, then do subscribe to the podcast. You can do it at Apple Podcast, Stitcher, Spotify, iHeartRadio, Google Podcasts and other podcast apps that take your fancy.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR LISTENING